How To Tie Button Down Shirt?
Button-down shirts can be a bit tricky to tie.
There are so many ways to do it, and it can be tough to figure out which way is the best for you.
They’re traditionally worn at work or in cooler weather, but today I’m sharing quick and creative styling hacks.
We will also provide step-by-step instructions on how to do each of these hacks.
So whether you’re looking for a way to make your work outfit more stylish or want to know how to tie a button-down shirt over a dress, we’ve got you covered!
How To Tie Button Down Shirt Like A Pro
Tying your shirt can look messy and out of control, but with these simple tricks, you can instantly summarize your look.
Basic Front Tuck
This is a simple way to make button-down shirts look more casual.
The shirt is tucked into your pants, and the bottom of it is tied in place with a knot just above where your belt would be if you were wearing one.
This makes sure that nothing shows through when you put on pants or shorts, which can sometimes happen when tying belts around shirts.
This method isn’t always appropriate for work environments; however, there are ways around this issue—such as by tucking only half of each side into your pants instead of both sides—that could help tone down its appearance slightly while still keeping it professional enough for formal business attire (or even semi-formal evening wear).
Pull the front of your shirt out about 6 inches.
Fold it down, then tuck it back in.
Tie a knot at the bottom of your shirt and you’re done!
- Tuck in the front of your shirt.
- Tie a knot at the end of your thread, then wrap it around itself twice to create a loop.
- Thread this through one buttonhole before going back over and tying another knot on top of that one!
- Make sure you have enough room so that when you put on your shirt, there won’t be any wrinkles or gaps between where they are tied together.
- Tie a bow on top of each buttonhole with the matching thread color from above; repeat as necessary until all buttons are done up (or until you run out).
- If desired, add another bow at the bottom inside the seam area but don’t sew this part down yet because we’re still working on making it look nice later on!
The easiest way to tie a button-down shirt is to do it in the front and then again at the back. This will ensure that all of your buttons are secure and do not come undone during wear.
- Tie up one side of your top/shirt as close to your body as possible, then fold that part over itself and pin it down with an awl or other small object (such as a piece of wood).
- Do this on both sides until you reach the bottom part closest to your belt line (if you don’t have belt loops yet).
- Tie up the other side of your top/shirt just like before (this time without folding over itself), pinning each end down with an awl or other small object.
This is the most popular knot for button-downs and you can use it to make an elegant, simple bow. It works wonders with floral prints and makes your shirt look feminine.
To tie this knot:
- Bring the bottom corner of your shirt up to meet the top of one side seam.
- Cross that corner over at an angle so that you have two loops on each side (a total of four).
- Then fold both sides in toward those loops, forming a triangle shape.
- Bring both ends back down through their respective loops and tie them off tightly with a square knot or three-strand chain.
- Tie one end of your button-down shirt into a bow.
- Tie the other end of your button-down shirt into a knot.
- Bring both ends together and secure them with an overhand knot (the longest part is closest to you).
- Cross this new piece over itself, forming a loop shape between both sides of the tie; then feed it back through the loop from where it came out and through again until you have formed two loops at each other’s ends.
- Pull these two loops tight against each other so they form one long chainlike structure; then pull out all slack while keeping tension on the top part only—you should have now created one long chainlike structure with no gaps/loose ends anywhere!
- Tie off tightly at the bottom point with the tuck.
- Finish off by pulling through the last loop so that both ends are facing forward instead of toward each other like before.
How To Tie Button-Down Shirts Over Dress
Button your shirt all the way up to the collar.
Take the tails of your shirt and drape them over your shoulders.
Bring the tails of your shirt around to the front and tie them in a loose knot.
Tuck the tails of your shirt into your dress or skirt.
For a more sophisticated look, read our guide on how to wear a shirt over a dress!
How To Tie A Button-Down Shirt Over T-Shirt
You can achieve this look by leaving your button-down shirt untied and simply draping it over your shoulders like a cape.
This is an easy way to add some extra style to any outfit, and it’s perfect for days when you want to show off your casual side.
But if you want to tie it then follow these simple steps:
- Take your button-down shirt and put it on over your t-shirt. Make sure that the buttons are undone and that the shirt is not tucked into your pants.
- Take the right side of the shirt and pull it across your body to the left.
- Then, take the left side of the shirt and pull it across your body to the right. You should now have the shirt crossed in front of you.
- Now, take both sides of the shirt and tie them together at the back in a knot. You can make the knot as tight or as loose as you like.
So there you have it, our cool hacks for tying a button-down shirt.
It’s really not as hard as it seems, and with a little practice, you’ll be able to do it in no time.
Just make sure you start with the right-sized shirt and fabric!
What are some of your favorite tips and ideas for tying a button-down shirt?
Share them with us in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you tie a button-down shirt with one shoulder?
If you want to add a bit of sexiness to your look, try tying your button-down shirt to one shoulder. This is a great way to show off some skin without being too revealing. To do this, simply follow these steps:
First, put on your button-down shirt and make sure that the buttons are undone. Next, take the right side of the shirt and pull it across your body to the left. Then, take the left side of the shirt and pull it across your waist to the right. You should now have the shirt crossed in front of you.
Now, take both sides of the shirt and tie them together at the back in a knot. You can make the knot as tight or as loose as you like. Once you’ve tied the knot, you can adjust it so that one shoulder is exposed.
How do you tie a tied-front shirt?
While a tied-front shirt may look complicated to tie, it is actually quite simple. Find the center front of your shirt and mark it with a pin. Next, take the tails of the shirt and tie them together in a knot just below the center front. Finally, tuck the knot into the shirt so that it’s hidden. That’s it! Now you know how to tie a tied-front shirt with a simple hack.